The Terry Fox Humanitarian Award program honours the spirit of Terry Fox, by encouraging Canadian youth who endeavor to emulate Terry Fox’s courage and determination by providing their communities and those in need with humanitarian service.
Applicants must be:
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants
- In good academic standing
- Students graduating from high school, completing their first year of CÉGEP or who have completed high school
- Involved in voluntary humanitarian activities (for which they have not been compensated)
- Planning to or are already studying towards their first university degree or diploma at a Canadian post-secondary institution, or entering their 2nd year of CÉGEP in the upcoming academic year
Terry Fox Award Recipients are eligible to receive the Award until they graduate with their first university degree or diploma (for a maximum of four years), provided they maintain satisfactory academic standing and a standard of humanitarian work and personal conduct which, in the opinion of the Board of Directors, justifies the award.
The maximum value of the award is $28,000 dispersed over four years. A stipend of $7,000 is issued directly to the institution each year in two installments of $3,500, one in September and one in January. For students who do not pay tuition fees, the award is $3,500 per year, issued directly to the institution in two installments of $1,750 each.
Recipients of the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award may not receive more than $15,000 in total scholarships (including the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award). If a student’s awards exceed this amount, any excess will be deducted from the student’s Terry Fox Award.
If a student’s academic expenses are covered by another source, they may choose to decline acceptance of the financial portion of the award. They will still be granted the distinction of being a Terry Fox Scholar.
Deadline: February 1 of every year
To apply click here.